Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Housing privacy notice

Who will own my data once I submit it?

We will own your data once it has been submitted.

Why do you need my information?

The information you provide will help us decide what help you need in relation to resolving your housing issue and to prevent or resolve homelessness. This information also feeds into a statutory data return to central government.

The Government will use this information to establish how effective strategies are to prevent and resolve homelessness on a national basis.

The information submitted to West Cheshire Homes on housing application forms will be used to process and prioritise applications for social housing in line with ours and the main Housing Partners Housing Allocations Policy.

What allows you to use my information?

The processing is necessary for the West Cheshire Homes team to perform a task for their official function and to help you with your housing difficulties as you have approached us for assistance under the provisions of the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017 and in relation to applications for social housing.

Who will my information be shared with?

The information you provide may be shared with other partners who are also helping you such as social care, probation, support workers. You can also give consent for your information to be shared with a friend or relative, or third party acting on your behalf. If you have applied for social housing your information will also be shared with other housing providers who may be considering offering you a tenancy.

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don't?

If you do not provide the information that the West Cheshire Homes team requests in order to assess your housing situation and any support needs then we cannot assess what (if any) legal duty it has to assist you. If you do not provide the information requested, then an assessment of your situation and any rights to help you cannot be determined. In this scenario we cannot give you the help you may need. Applications for social housing and homelessness cannot be assessed without the necessary information to aid decision making. With regards to homelessness applications information is sent to Central Government (Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government) as part of a statistical return.

How long will you keep this data for and why?

Any housing or homelessness applications will be stored in line with our retention schedules. An assessment for housing needs will be kept for seven years. Details on providing short term and emergency accommodation for homeless people will be kept for the duration of the support.

Information relating to the process of allocating property (homes and garages) to applicants on the waiting list will be kept for ten years from the closure of the file.

How will my information be stored?

Information will be stored on West Cheshire Homes database which is provided by Locata Housing Services.

Your rights

Under data protection law, you have rights including:

  • your right of access - you have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information
  • your right to rectification - you have the right to ask us to rectify information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
  • your right to restriction of processing - you have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your information in certain circumstances
  • your right to object to processing - you have the right to object to the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances

You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.

To make a request follow the instructions on our Data Protection for you page.

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

You can complain directly to our Data Protection team online or by post:

  • By post: Phil Orchard, Data Protection Officer, HQ, Nicholas Street, Chester, CH1 2NP
Contact the DPO

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details:

  • By post: The Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
  • Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45
Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) website

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad and why?