Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Parish representative privacy notice

Who is the Data Controller for this processing?

We are the Data Controller for this processing.

The personal information we have collected from you will be shared with fraud prevention agencies who will use it to prevent fraud and money-laundering and to verify your identity. If fraud is detected, you could be refused certain services, finance, or employment.

What personal information do we hold?

We only collect and use the minimum amount of personal information required when delivering a service to you. Wherever possible we use non-identifiable personal information.

The service may use some or all of the personal information provided:

  • your name, address and contact details
  • confirmation that you are a current Parish or Town Councillor in the borough
  • your qualifications, skills and experience for the role of Parish Representative
  • convictions
  • references

We get most of this information from you, but we may also get some of this data from:

  • police and probation services
  • previous employers

How do we use your personal information?

We use your information to:

  • enable the Cheshire Association of Local Councils (ChALC) to run the recruitment process for Parish Representatives under our arrangements for dealing with complaints under Members Code of Conduct (“Members Complaints Arrangements”)
  • enable us to appoint two suitable Parish Representatives
  • communicate and consult with you as a Parish Representative if you are appointed to the role

Who else might we share your personal information with?

Sometimes we may need to share your information, but we will only do so where it is necessary or required by law. We will only share the minimum information for each circumstance.

We may sometimes need to share some of your information with any of our departments or other town/parish Councils.

If appointed, we may share your information with the following (depending on the individual circumstance):

  • members of the Council, including members of Audit and Governance Committee
  • the Subject Member (a Councillor against whom an allegation has been made)
  • the relevant town/parish Council
  • an investigator appointed by the Monitoring Officer to conduct an investigation into a complaint
  • the public e.g. in relation to matters in published committee minutes

What is the legal basis for our use of your personal information?

Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you, under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the lawful bases we rely on for using your personal information are:

  • you gave us your consent (GDPR Article 6 (a) - You are able to remove your consent at any time.
  • we have a contractual obligation with you (GDPR Article 6 (b)

When we collect data about your criminal convictions we also rely on the following lawful basis:

  • Data Protection Act Schedule 1 Part 3 Paragraph 36

Where will we store your information?

Your information will be securely stored on our network and ChALC’s systems.

How long will we keep your personal information?

We will only use your personal information whilst delivering the service to you and to deal with any questions or complaints that we may receive about this, unless the law requires us to keep it for a longer period. In practice, this means that your information will be kept for six years following the termination of your role then securely destroyed.

If we need to use your information for research or reports, your information will be anonymised and any information taken from notes (hand written or typed) during any consultation sessions will be securely destroyed. The information will continue to be used in a summarised and anonymised form in any research reports or papers that are published. The anonymised information in the papers may be of historic interest and may be held in public archives indefinitely

Your rights

Under data protection law, you have rights including:

  • your right of access - you have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information
  • your right to rectification - you have the right to ask us to rectify information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
  • your right to erasure -you have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances
  • your right to restriction of processing - you have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your information in certain circumstances
  • your right to data portability - you have the right to ask that we transfer the information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances

You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.

To make a request follow the instructions on our Data protection for you page.

How to complain if you are unhappy about how your data is used

You can complain directly to our Data Protection team online or by post.

  • Online: Contact the DPO
  • By post: Data Protection Officer, The Portal, Wellington Road, Ellesmere Port, CH65 0BA

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details:

Will my personal information be accessible outside the UK?

Should the transfer of personal information outside of the UK become necessary, it will only take place if permitted by law, and then only where there are appropriate safeguards in place to protect the personal information.

Your information is stored within the UK.