Registration services privacy notice

Who will own my data once I submit it?

Ourselves and the Registrar General for England and Wales will own your data once it has been submitted.

Why do you need my information?

Personal information collected from you in order to register an event is required by law.

When we collect and use your information, we need this to:

  • register births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships within the area
  • provide you with information about registration related services

The information that we collect about you is:

  • your name, address, picture or date of birth
  • national identifiers such as NHS number, National Insurance number, passport number etc.
  • information about your family, this could include their name, address, occupation or date of birth
  • details about your lifestyle and social circumstances
  • financial details
  • the IP address that you accessed any of our online services from

What allows you to use my information?

When we collect and use your personal information, we do so as part of our duties as a local authority. The legislation and guidance that allow us to do this includes but is not limited to:

  • General Data Protection Legislation Article 6 part e
  • The Births and Deaths Registration Act 1953
  • The Marriage Act 1949
  • Civil Partnership Act 2004

Who will my information be shared with?

A copy of any register entry will be provided by our registration service in accordance with the law to any applicant, provided they supply enough information to identify the entry concerned and pay the appropriate fee. The copy may only be issued in the form of a paper certified copy (a “certificate”). An application for a certificate may also be made to the General Register Office.

Indexes for events registered at this office are publicly available in order to help members of the public identify the registration record they might need.

A copy of the information collected by a registration officer will also be sent to the Registrar General for England and Wales so that a central record of all registrations can be maintained.

Registration information held by our registration service will only be shared with other organisations in the course of carrying out our statutory functions, or to enable others to perform theirs. We will only share information where there is a lawful basis to do so:

  • statistical or research purposes
  • administrative purposes by official bodies e.g. ensuring their records are up-to-date in order to provide services to the public
  • fraud prevention or detection, immigration and passport purposes

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don’t?

If you fail to provide information you are required to give us you may, amongst other things, be liable to a fine, or we may not be able to provide the service you are applying for, such as a marriage or a civil partnership.

How long will you keep this data for and why?

We are required by law to keep a register of births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships indefinitely.

If you apply for a copy certificate, details of your request will be kept for seven years.

How will my information be stored?

Your information is held securely on systems within our IT network.

Your rights

Under data protection law, you have rights including:

  • your right of access - you have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information
  • your right to rectification - you have the right to ask us to rectify information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
  • your right to restriction of processing - you have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your information in certain circumstances
  • your right to object to processing - you have the right to object to the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances

You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.

To make a request follow the instructions on our Data Protection for you page.

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

You can complain directly to our Data Protection team online or by post.

  • Online: Contact the DPO
  • By post: Data Protection Officer, 4 Civic Way, Ellesmere Port, CH65 0BE

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details:

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad and why?