Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Troubled families privacy notice

Who will own my data once I submit It?

We will own your data once it has been submitted.

Why do you need my information?

We will use your information to:

  • deliver the Government’s Troubled Families Programme
  • support early help and prevention, service improvement and planning, research using anonymised data

The information that we collect about you is:

  • your name, address, picture or date of birth
  • national identifiers such as NHS number, National Insurance number etc.
  • information about your family
  • details about your lifestyle and social circumstances
  • financial details
  • employment and education details
  • details about your housing needs
  • intervention status and reason for referral

We also collect sensitive information about you called special category data. Special category data is defined as:

  • physical or mental health details
  • racial or ethnic origin

What allows you to use my information?

When we collect and use your personal information for the delivery of the Troubled Families Programme we do so as part of our public duties as a local authority in order to deliver services to you. The legislation, policies and guidance that allow us to do this includes but is not limited to:

  • General Data Protection Legislation Article 6 part e
  • General Data Protection Legislation Article 6 Part g
  • Data Protection Act 2018 Schedule 1 Part 3 Paragraph 36
  • The Digital Economy Act 2017
  • The Children’s Act 2004
  • The NHS Act 2006
  • The Children’s and Families Act 2014
  • The Crime and Disorder Act 1998
  • The Education Act 2002
  • The Localism Act 2011
  • Local Government Act 2000
  • Criminal Justice Act 2002
  • Sexual Offences Act 2003
  • Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984
  • The Children (Leaving Care) Act 2000
  • Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations Act 2014
  • Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Education and Skills Act 2008
  • Protection of Children Act 1998

Who will my information be shared with?

We share your information in order to:

  • identify which families need our support
  • understand and meet the needs of families
  • understand the difference we are making

When we share your information we do so as part of our duties as a local authority in order to deliver services to you, the partners we share information with includes but is not limited to:

  • health
  • social services
  • housing services and providers
  • police and fire services
  • domestic abuse services
  • substance misuse services
  • young peoples services
  • probation and HM Prison services
  • youth justice service
  • health visiting and school nursing services
  • education Services, the Department for Work & Pensions
  • The Department for Communities & Local Government
  • Public Health and the Families Health & Wellbeing Consortium

National Impact Study (NIS)

The national Troubled Families Programme carries out an evaluation in which all local authorities are required to participate. Local authorities are asked to provide:

  • name, date of birth, gender and postcode, National Insurance numbers, unique pupil numbers
  • eligibility problems met
  • status of intervention
  • family progress data (FPD) every six months for all individuals in families who are being supported by the programme against a number of measures

Locally, service providers share evaluation data to inform how services should be provided in the future. This is separate to the National Impact Study. The reason to link the information is to help the government and local service providers understand whether or not family support services has been effective in reducing offending, truancy and getting people ready for work,

Information sharing agreements are in place to ensure that:

  • the data can only be used for carrying out research
  • the linked data cannot be used to make decisions about individuals
  • it will be impossible for any person or family to be identified from any published reports
  • the linked personal data from the National Impact Study will not be shared with or made available to the local authority or any other public agency
  • all data is transferred, handled and stored in accordance with the Data Protection Act
  • appropriate measures are in place to prevent unauthorised use of the data

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don’t?

We have committed to the government to deliver the national Troubled Families Programme in our area. In order to fulfil our obligations it is necessary to share information with partner agencies such as the police, NHS and probation services for the purposes of evaluation.

In order to identify families, understand the difference we are making and focus on who can potentially access the additional support the programme offers, we will be sharing personal information about you and your family. No one will be able to identify you or your family in any published reports and this will not affect the services you are entitled to now or in the future.

This might include records in relation to your involvement with family support services, any involvement with the police, courts and probation, aspects relating to your employment, substance misuse, educational attendance, vulnerable children and health issues

How long will you keep this data for and why?

  • data relating to adult social care will be kept for six years
  • data relating to looked after children will be kept for 75 years
  • data relating to special education needs will be kept for 31 years
  • data relating to all other issues relating to children will be kept for 25 years
  • data relating to the protection of vulnerable adults will be kept between 10 years to 30 years
  • data relating to mental health support will be kept for 20 years

How will my information be stored?

Information will be stored securely on our ‘LiquidLogic’ electronic case record system. Access to this system is for a limited number of required users and requires usernames and passwords in order to enable access. All access is monitored.

Your rights

Under data protection law, you have rights including:

  • your right of access - you have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information
  • your right to rectification - you have the right to ask us to rectify information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
  • your right to restriction of processing - you have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your information in certain circumstances
  • your right to object to processing - you have the right to object to the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances

You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.

To make a request follow the instructions on our Data Protection for you page.

Who can I complain to If I am unhappy about how my data is used?

You can complain directly to our Data Protection team online or by post.

  • By post: Data Protection Officer, The Portal, Wellington Road, Ellesmere Port, CH65 0BA
Contact the DPO

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details:

  • By post: The Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
  • Telephone: 08456 30 60 60
Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) website

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad and why?