Vehicle telematics and camera privacy notice
Who is the Data Controller for this processing?
We are the data controller for this processing, CTRACK will provide the information to us.
What personal information do we hold?
We only collect and use the minimum amount of personal information required when delivering a service to you. Wherever possible we use non-identifiable personal information.
The service will use all of the personal information provided:
- driver identity – name
- vehicle registration number
- maximum/average speed travelled
- distance travelled
- number journeys
- journey time
- road type
- impact detection
We get most of this information from you, but we may also get some of this data from:
- central Government agencies
- other local authorities
- health and social care provider
- police and probation services
- members of the public (referrer)
- commissioned partners
- family members
How do we use your personal information?
We use your information to:
- deliver the service, or handle your query
- plan and improve the services we offer
- detect and prevent crime or fraud
- improve legal compliance and driver behaviour
- respond to enquiries
- litigate motor insurance claims
- investigate complaints from the public
- monitor routes in connection with the scheduling of work
- monitor driver behaviour and legal compliance
- handle disciplinary procedures
NB: The identification of a driver’s name will be possible using a tag to engage the system before the vehicle moves. However, we will not be collecting other personal information in connection with the driver.
Who else might we share your personal information with?
Sometimes we will need to share information relating to your vehicle, but we will only do so where it is necessary or required by law. We will only share the minimum information for each circumstance. However, in the event of a legal issue we would also need to share your name. No other personal data will be shared.
We will need to share some of your information with:
- Court (if a claim cannot be settled by us)
- insurance company
In the event of an accident, road traffic infringement or administration of the system, we will need to share some of your information with:
- our motor insurance company
- legal representatives
- technology assistance providers (CTRACK)
What is the legal basis for our use of your personal information?
Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you, under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the lawful bases we rely on for using your personal information are:
- we have a legitimate interest (GDPR Article 6 (f)
Where will we store your information?
Your information will be securely stored securely on CTRACKs website and will be encrypted/password protected.
How long will we keep your personal information?
We will only use your personal information whilst delivering the service to you and to deal with any questions or complaints that we may receive about this, unless the law requires us to keep it for a longer period. In practice, this means that your information will be kept for two years then deleted.
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
- your right of access - you have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information
- your right to rectification - you have the right to ask us to rectify information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
- your right to erasure - you have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances
- your right to restriction of processing - you have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your information in certain circumstances
- your right to object to processing - you have the right to object to the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
To make a request follow the instructions on our Data protection for you page.
How to complain if you are unhappy about how your data is used
You can complain directly to our Data Protection team online or by post.
- Online: Contact the DPO
- By post: Data Protection Officer, The Portal, Wellington Road, Ellesmere Port, CH65 0BA
You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details:
- Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) website
- By post: The Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
- Telephone: 0303 123 1113
Will my personal information be accessible outside the UK?
Your information is stored within the UK.