This privacy statement covers the Cheshire West and Chester Council website and any other websites that include ‘cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk’ in the address.
When you use these websites you are agreeing to this statement and any additional statements on individual pages within the sites.
As a registered Data Controller, we will process your personal data and information in accordance with the Data Protection Act . As the data controller, we must:
- only use your data to provide services and do what the law says we must
- keep your records safe and accurate
- only keep your data as long as we have to
- collect, store and use your data in a way that does not break any data protection laws.
Things you can do to help us:
- tell us when any of your details change
- tell us if any of the information we hold on you is wrong
For more information about data protection see the Information Commissioner's (ICO) website.
If you have any queries about Data Protection Legislation, including the General Data Protection Regulation and Data Protection Act
If you have any queries about the Freedom of Information Act or Environmental Information Regulations
Your personal data
When you fill in a form, register online, contact us, apply for a service or interact with us in any other way, we will collect the following types of information depending on the service that you have accessed.
- Information about you, this could include your name, address, picture or date of birth.
- National identifiers such as NHS number, National Insurance number etc.
- Information about your family.
- Details about your lifestyle and social circumstances.
- Financial details.
- Employment and education details.
- Details about your housing needs.
- The IP address that you accessed any of our online services from.
Some of our services might also require us to collect sensitive information about you called special category data. Special category data is defined as:
- physical or mental health details
- racial or ethnic origin
- trade union membership
- political affiliation
- political opinions
- religious or other beliefs of a similar nature
- biometric or genetic data
Details on how our services use your personal information is available on the privacy notices section on this website.
We collect your personal information to enable us to provide a range of local government services to you. Some of these services include:
- promotion of the local government services we provide
- administering the assessment and collection of taxes and other revenue including benefits and grants
- provision of public health services
- provision of social services
- provision of social housing
- provision of educational services
- provision of services to local communities
- administering and enforcement of parking regulations and restrictions
- administration of refuse collections from residential properties
- carrying out health and public awareness campaigns
- carrying out surveys and research
- marketing our local tourism
- licensing and regulatory activities
- crime prevention and the prosecution offenders including the use of CCTV
- managing archived records for historical and research reasons
- data matching under local and national fraud initiatives
When you access a service we will either rely on your consent, rely on legislation or the public task function under the General Data Protection Regulation, have a contract with you or need to provide a service to you in order to protect your life.
In many cases we will be providing services to you that are covered by legislation; this means that we may be able to process your data without your consent or permission. This is called the public task function under Data Protection Legislation.
When we rely on the public task function, we will make it clear why we need to collect your personal information, will explain what we intend to do with it and will notify you of your individual rights.
For some services we process your data under a contract e.g. your library membership, social housing.
Service providers and other organisations
We don’t make your personal details available to other companies for marketing purposes, but we may share some of your details with partner organisations that we use to help deliver services to you. These providers are under contract with Cheshire West and Chester Council and have to keep your details safe and secure in order to provide a service to you.
We may also share information about you with organisations such as the Police and the Department for Work and Pensions where we are required to by law.
The Council will often share data with other organisations to achieve a purpose that benefits the local community, for example, to reduce anti-social behaviour or to provide integrated support for individuals that need it.
Joined up services within the council
We share your data between services within the council so that we can keep our information on you as up-to-date as possible and so that we can improve our services to you. For example, if you tell the housing team you have moved, they will pass this information on to other parts of the council such as the council tax team. Staff can only see your data if they need it to do their job.
Data Protection Officer
The Council’s Data Protection Officer is Philip Orchard and he can be contacted by email or post.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By post: Data Protection Officer, Cheshire West and Chester Council, HQ, 58 Nicholas Street, Chester, CH1 2NP
Under data protection legislation, you have the right to request access to the information that we hold about you. In certain circumstances you also have the right to:
- object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress
- prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing
- object to decisions being taken by automated means
- have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed.
We will only hold your personal information for as long as necessary for business purposes or if we are required to keep it by law.
Details of our cookie usage policy, including how to disable them is available on the cookies page of this website.
Changes to this privacy notice