Commission on the future of Adult Social Care
Cheshire West and Chester Council established a Cheshire West Commission on the Future of Adult Social Care in 2021. The Commission heard from local people as well as considering local and national best practice. The final report of the Commission set out recommendations for social care within the borough.
- The Future of Social Care Commission report (PDF, 395KB)
- The Future of Social Care Commission report, easy read (PDF, 3.4MB)
How did the Commission work?
The Commission was cross-party, chaired and led by Councillor Val Armstrong, Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care and Public Health. The Commission met virtually with members of the public attending and observing meetings, all of which included an opportunity for public contributions at the start of each meeting.
- 16 November 2021 - Meeting one: Developing a vision for Adult Social Care
- 13 December 2021 - Meeting two: Funding and paying for care
- 14 February 2022 - Meeting three (part one): Engaging with those who draw on care
- 22 February 2022 - Meeting three (part two): The role of communities
- 29 March 2022 - Meeting four: Workforce and technology
- 22 April 2022 - Meeting five: Commissioning high quality, ethical social care
- 23 May 2022 - Meeting six: Agreeing final recommendations
Who were the Commissioners?
- Cllr Val Armstrong, Councillor for Lache, Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care and Public Health
- Gary Cliffe, Chief Executive, West Cheshire Voluntary Action
- Cllr Gillian Edwards, Councillor for Weaver and Cuddington
- Alison Lee, Managing Director, Cheshire West Integrated Care Partnership
- Cllr Gina Lewis, Councillor for Winsford Over and Verdin
- Cllr Keith Millar, Councillor for Neston
- Cllr Lynn Riley, Councillor for Frodsham, Shadow Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care and Public Health
- Cllr Neil Sullivan, Councillor for Handbridge Park, Shadow Cabinet Member for Legal and Finance
When did it meet?
The cross-party Commission considered six key themes over six months, with specific meeting dates and times agreed, but subject to change dependent on the availability of service users and other witnesses and to ensure an inclusive process:
- Developing a vision for social care: Tuesday, 16 November, 10am until 1pm
- Funding and paying for care: Monday, 13 December, 10.30am until 1.30pm
- The role of communities and service user engagement: Monday, 14 February, 2pm until 5pm
- Workforce; and Technology: Tuesday, 29 March, 10am until 1pm
- Commissioning high quality, ethical care: Tuesday, 26 April, 10am until 1pm.