Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Car boot sale

To hold a car boot sale you may need authorisation or a licence from the local authority for the area where the sale will be held.

You must give us at least one month's notice of your intention to hold a car boot sale (or to permit land use for a car boot sale). This is unless the proceeds of the car boot sale are to be applied solely or principally for charitable, social, sporting or political purposes.

Applications must be made in writing (including by electronic means) and include the applicant's name and address, where and when they would like to trade and the name and address of the person who owns that site, if that person is not the applicant. You can apply for authorisation or to change an authorisation online.

Apply to authorise
Apply to change an authorisation

What happens next?

You can expect to be contacted by the Licensing Team within 14 days of receipt of your application. We would normally expect to let you know our decision on your application within 30 days of receipt.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period

What if my application fails?

Please contact us in the first instance by emailing

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance by emailing

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you. We would suggest this should be in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, further information about making a complaint, can be found on the information for consumers page of this website.

Trade associations

General enquiries