Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Hypnotism authorisation

If you wish to show, demonstrate or perform a hypnotism act in public, you must have authorisation from the local authority in England and Wales.

If you are performing in Scotland, you must have permission, or the premises must hold a premises or other entertainment licence. Permission in Scotland is obtained from the authority issuing the premises licences. You must comply with any conditions attached to an authorisation.

You can apply online for consent to conduct an exhibition, demonstration or performance of hypnotism on the Gov.UK website.

Apply for consent to conduct an exhibition demonstration or performance of hypnotism

Regulation summary

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

What happens next?

You can expect to be contacted by the Licensing Team within 14 days of receipt of your application. We would normally expect to let you know our decision on your application within 30 days of receipt.

What if my application fails?

Please contact us in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, further information about making a complaint can be found on our information for consumers page.

Further information

Trade associations