Skip to main content

Food premises registration

Licence summary

In partnership with EUGO LogoTo store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises you need to be registered with the local authority. Premises include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans and food delivery vans. Food business operators should register their premises at least 28 days before food operations commence.

Some manufacturers handling products of animal origin may need to be approved by the local authority or the Meat Hygiene Service, rather than registered. If you are uncertain whether your business needs to be approved or registered, contact your local authority.

Where to find help

You can apply online for the following on the Gov.UK website.

Apply online 

  • Telephone: 0300 123 7 038.
  • By post: Food Safety Team, Regulatory Services, Cheshire West and Chester Council, Wyvern House, Winsford, Cheshire, CW7 1AH

Eligibility criteria 

No provision in legislation

Regulation summary 

Application evaluation process 

No provision in legislation

Will tacit consent apply

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period

Target completion

Applications will be dealt with within 30 days.

Failed application redress 

Please contact Cheshire West and Chester Council in the first instance.

Licence holder redress 

Please contact Cheshire West and Chester Council in the first instance.

Consumer complaint 

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, further information about making a complaint can be found on the Information for Consumers page of this website. 

Public register or database

Contact Cheshire West and Chester Council, Regulatory Services to view a register of food premises within the district.

Trade associations 

Further information

Further information about food safety can be found below.

Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.