The Mobile Homes Regulations 2020
From Thursday 1 July 2021 all park home (permanent residential) sites operated on a commercial basis must be managed by a fit and proper person. We are currently preparing to implement the new regulations to enable site owners or site managers to make their applications to be included on the register of fit and proper persons.
What is a fit and proper person?
Any applicant wishing to be included on the register will have to show that there are suitable financial and management arrangements in place for the site and to provide information relating to their conduct in relation to:
- offences relating to fraud, dishonesty, violence, arson or drugs or listed in schedule 3 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003
- contraventions of law in relation to; housing, caravan sites, mobile homes, public health, planning or environmental health or landlord and tenant law
- contraventions of law in relation to the Equality Act 2010
- contraventions of law in connection with the carrying out of any business
- harassment of any person in connection with the carrying out of any business.
- insolvency within the last ten years
- disqualification from acting as a company director within the last ten years
- their right to work in the UK
Does it apply to all park home sites?
No, only park home sites which operate on a commercial basis where units are sold or rented to residents. Park home sites which are only occupied by the site owner or members of their family do not need to apply. However, if circumstances change and units are rented out to non-family members then the owner or site manager will need to apply to be included on the register.
Who will need to apply?
Under the legislation the fit and proper person must be the person with day to day responsibility of managing a site, whether that is the site owner, or a person appointed to undertake the task on the owner’s behalf.
Anyone applying for a new site licence or the transfer of a site licence to a new owner will need to apply to have themselves or the site manager included on the register.
How do you apply to be put on the register of fit and proper persons?
You must submit an application between the 1 July 2021 and midnight of 30 September 2021 to be assessed as a fit and proper person. If you are operating a site and fail to comply with the fit and proper person test it is a criminal offence and if found guilty you would be liable, on summary conviction, of a fine up to level 5 (unlimited).
Applying for inclusion on the register carries a fee, our fee policy and fees can be found on our website.
The applicant will need a basic DBS certificate (no more than six months before the date of the application) and must be included with the application. The DBS certificate must be from an approved supplier, information about how to arrange a DBS check can be found on the Gov.UK website.
The application form is now available on our self-serve facility. Please note that in order to access the application form you will be required to register and open an account.
If you would like to request a paper copy then please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Mobile Homes (Requirement for manager of site to be a fit and proper person) (England) Regulations 2020 (PDF, 231KB)
- Government guidance
- Fit and proper register
If you have any questions about the regulations or how they will affect you, please contact email@example.com, and an officer will get back to you.