A civil funeral ceremony gives you the opportunity to celebrate your loved one's life and parting, while reflecting the very individual wishes of your family and those of the deceased.
The person conducting the ceremony will be a fully trained professional celebrant. Our celebrant will liaise you and your funeral director about all aspects of your ceremony.
Our celebrant will help you create a full and meaningful ceremony that meets the deceased's wishes and those of your family.
You may want to include music, poetry or readings which have special significance for the deceased. There may be members of your family or close friends who would like to speak at the ceremony.
Our celebrant will discuss the details with them to make sure that the ceremony becomes the fitting tribute that you would wish for.
A civil funeral can be held almost anywhere you wish and is appropriate for cremations, burials at non-religious burial grounds or woodland burial sites.
Arrange a civil funeral ceremony
Please speak to your Funeral Director or contact one of our celebrants, based at Chester Register Office on 0300 123 7037.
Civil funerals fees
Fees from 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019
- This fee applies when the person conducting the ceremony meets with the bereaved family (or friend) in one of our Register Offices: £163*
- This fee applies when the person conducting the ceremony meets with the bereaved family (or friend) at their home: £215*
- Scattering of ashes: £77*
- The cost of a civil funeral or scattering of ashes for a child between one month and 16 years is half the above price.
* This fee applies for ceremonies or home visits that take place in Cheshire West and Chester.
If your ceremony or home visit is outside of Cheshire West and Chester, please contact the Registration Service to enquire about the fee.