Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Marriage and civil partnerships

Religious ceremonies

A religious ceremony may take place at a church or chapel of the Church of England or Church of Wales. It may also take place in any other place of worship formally registered for marriages by the registrar general.

Church of England or Wales

A marriage within the Church of England or Wales does not generally involve the register office. For enquiries regarding fees, please contact the vicar or incumbent of the Church.

Other churches or religious buildings

For weddings in any other church or religious building, you should seek permission from the minister or governing body before making other arrangements.

Giving notice of marriage

You will need to complete a notice of marriage. This is a legal requirement and can be done up to 12 months in advance of your ceremony date. You must give notice of a marriage and give notice of a civil partnership at least 28 clear days in advance of your ceremony date.