Skip to main content

Keeping safe

You have the right to legal protection from an abusive partner. This might be through the criminal law (contacting the police and pursuing a prosecution) or through the civil law (contacting a solicitor to apply for a court order to prevent the abuse or keep him/her away from your home).

Criminal Law

If you call the police they may arrest your partner if he or she has committed a criminal offence against you. It’s their decision whether to arrest your partner and you shouldn’t feel you are responsible for this decision.

The Cheshire Police website gives:

The Be Safe webpage provides further contacts for advice

Civil Law

Accredited Solicitors in Domestic Violence – Resolution have undertaken supplementary training to become domestic violence specialists.

Resolution is an organisation of 6,500 family lawyers and other professionals in England and Wales

Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.