Skip to main content

Accessing your records

Social care records

We keep information about our work with people who use our services and about people who provide services. This information is kept in records that may be in writing as a file or on a computerised system.

Information that we keep helps us plan and provide the right service for individuals, helps us to develop future services and for the purposes of carrying out our statutory functions.

Who we share records with

We work as a team with health, education, probation, police, housing authorities/housing associations and others. In these instances we mayneed to share relevant information.

Information will only be shared with people and organisations that have clear standards of confidentiality themselves.

We also provide statistical (non-identifiable) information to central government and other agencies, which helps us to improve services for the public.

Information you can't access

Some information is exempt from disclosure under the Data Protection Act 1998:

  • Records about other people, unless we have their permission.
  • Information recieved about you from others, unless we get their permission
  • Information which is considerd seriuously harmful to you
  • Records relating to work where legal proceedings are under way
  • Information held for the purposes of protection or detection of crime, or the apprehension or prosecution of offenders where yoiur request for this information is likely to prejudice either or both of these purposes
  • Information which is protected by other laws including Adoption Records and recors related to the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 1990, seperate procedures exist for these records.

Requests for information

We will need proof of your identity and there is also normally a fee of £10.

Within 40 calendar days of recieving the proof of identity and fee, we will supply you with the information requested. Sometimes we may be unable to give you access to all the information we hold or we may need to ask someone else's permission first. If we cannot share the whole of your record we will discuss the resons with you.

Any queries?

If you are not satisfied with how your request is handled you should write in the first instance to the Data Protection Officer.

Data Protection Officer
HQ Building
58 Nicholas Street

Information Commissioner

The Information Commissioner's Office website provides a wealth of information and documents about data protection.

Share this page

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.