Keeping fit and well

    Your health and wellbeing is really important to us and we want to make sure you have access to facilities and services so that you feel healthy and fit.

    Support includes:

    Leisure Pass: All care leavers aged 16 to 25-years-old living in the Borough are offered a Brio Leisure Pass. Care Leavers who live outside the Borough can gain funding from the Children's Service Child Trust Fund to pay for a gym membership in their local area.

    Health assessments/health summaries: Care leavers continue to have health assessments annually until aged 18. These will be carried out by the Looked After Children (LAC) nurse. If you have a specific health needs your social worker and LAC nurse will discuss with you how these can be met as part of your Pathway Plan and offer you advice and support on how to access health services. As a care leaver, you will be supported by your Personal Adviser with booking and attending health appointments and accessing transport for appointments (requires agreement beforehand).

    Accessing your health record: At your final review health assessment, you will be offered a written summary of your health history by your named Health Professional. Having access to your health history can be useful. It is your right to have a record of what you have been treated for in the past. A copy of this health summary will be stored with your General Practitioner (GP) so that it is always available to you and, if you agree, a copy can also be saved on your Social Care record too.

    This will include any information available about:

    • your birth (including time of birth, birth weight etc.)
    • immunisations that you have received during childhood
    • illnesses or surgery that you may have had
    • allergies
    • medication
    • known family health history
    • any other information regarding your health that may be important to you

    NHS Go is a free health app designed for young people by young people. It gets its information directly from the data that fuels National Health Service (NHS) Choices, but is organised differently using topics and articles that appeal to young people.

    It is aimed at 16 to 24-year-olds and was first developed in 2016, after young people in London identified that they wanted better and easier access to health and wellbeing information. Y

    You can use it to search local health services and find information on health and wellbeing, including mental health, sex and relationships, healthy eating and puberty. Download for free at:

    GP registration

    Prior to your 18th birthday, you will be supported to ensure you are registered with a General Practitioner (GP) practice which is accessible to where you are living.

    Information and guidance will be provided on how to access GP appointments, when it is appropriate to attend the GP surgery as opposed to Accident and Emergency department (A&E), how to access GP services out-of-hours, etc.

    Teeth and oral health

    Prior to leaving care, you will receive advice on how to make sure you are still able to access dental health services, including information on local NHS dental practices.

    Your Personal Adviser will be able to help you to find a dental practice that's convenient for you. If you do not have a regular dental practice, or are new to the area, you can search for an NHS dentist near you on the NHS England website.

    Good dental health is essential to enable you to remain healthy and it is recommended that you visit your dentist for a check-up every six months.

    In relation the dental care you may be eligible for financial support for dental checks and treatment it you are:

    • aged 16 to 18-years-old and in full-time education
    • pregnant or had a baby in the last 12 months
    • in receipt of Universal credit
    • on a low income and have a Health Credit Certificate (known as HC2 or HC3 certificate).


    The NHS recommends that you should get your eyes tested every two years (more often if advised by your optician).

    An NHS sight test is free of charge if you are in one of the eligible groups considered clinically necessary. If the ophthalmic practitioner can't see a clinical need then you'll have to pay for the test privately.

    Opticians will prescribe and fit glasses and contact lenses, and, if necessary, they will refer you to a GP or a hospital eye clinic for further investigations.

    Sexual Health Services

    Sexual Health services can help and support you to maintain a healthy sexual relationship, prevent unplanned pregnancy and detect and treat sexually transmitted infections. Free emergency contraception (the morning after pill) is available at chemists and some NHS walk-in centres and minor injuries units. For information on all sexual health services available in the local area visit:

    Sexual health

    National sexual health information and services:

    Drugs, alcohol and tobacco

    The services below can provide you with specialist advice and support if you have a problem related to alcohol or drugs:

    Emotional wellbeing and mental health

    There are a variety of services available in the local area designed to provide you with support and treatment to address any emotional or mental health issues you may be experiencing. More information about local NHS services can be found on the NHS website.

    If you have been receiving support from Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) while you were in care, a plan to help you move smoothly to Adult Services will be discussed with you. It may not always be appropriate for you to transfer to Adult Services and, if this is the case, your Personal Adviser (PA) will be able to support you to access alternative services such as counselling.

    When it comes to emotions, it can sometimes be hard to recognise or admit that we're not feeling 100%. If you are aged 16-or-over, you can follow the link below to complete this short questionnaire to which can help you better understand how you've been feeling over the last fortnight, and point you in the right direction for helpful advice and information, visit:

    NHS mood self assessment tool

    For information on what mental wellbeing is visit:

    What is mental wellbeing?


    • Jigsaw4u is charity that can support you through trauma, loss and bereavement
    • Young Minds is a charity that can help to improve your emotional wellbeing
    • Samaritans - Freephone: 116 123

    Healthcare costs

    Students are only entitled to free healthcare treatments up to the age of 18 (or 19, if they're still in education). These include:

    • dental treatments and appointments
    • prescriptions
    • sight tests
    • glasses

    Some young people can get help with healthcare costs through the NHS Low Income Scheme if they;

    • have a low income;
    • are pregnant;
    • have certain medical conditions.

    See Save the Student guide to cheap healthcare and dentistry to find out what you can apply for.

    Save the student