Skip to main content

People leaving hospital

This information is to assist people admitted to hospital who have nowhere to go on discharge. 

Finding accommodation before discharge

If you have nowhere to go on discharge it is important that hospital staff are aware of this at the earliest opportunity. An unplanned discharge may mean poor recovery and personal hardship for you as well as a strain on hospital resources if you end up back in hospital.

If you are in hospital for a long time you will have more time to look at the following options.

Apply for social housing through West Cheshire Homes

West Cheshire Homes manage the housing register and choice based lettings service which enables people to bid for available properties in Cheshire West and Chester advertised by local housing providers. Applications can be made online at West Cheshire Homes.

Find private rented accommodation

Housing Options work with local private landlords who can provide housing in the private sector as an alternative to social housing. Private rented accommodation is also advertised through estate and letting agents and in the local papers. For more information contact the Housing Options team.

Register for Extra Care housing

Extra Care housing includes 24 hour care and support services. Each development consists of one and two bedroom apartments in a communal building, available for rent, shared ownership or purchase. To be considered for Extra Care housing in Cheshire West, applicants should be over 55 years old and have a local connection to the area. Current schemes are in Chester, Northwich, Ellesmere Port, Winsford, Newton, Helsby and Blacon.

Repair or adapt current property

If your home is not in a fit state to live in, is unsafe, or is unsuitable to meet your needs there are a number of options available depending on whether you are a tenant or home owner.

Contact you landlord if you are a social housing tenant. If your private landlord is failing to maintain the property contact the Council.

Home assistance hub

If you are a home owner the Council’s Home Assistance Hub can provide advice and assistance on home adaptations, repairs and improvements, handyperson services, loans and grants, home safety and security. You can contact the Home Assistance Hub.

For more information visit the Home Assistance Hub pages on this website.

Speak to the Cheshire West and Chester Council Housing Options team

If your current home cannot be adapted to meet your needs a referral should be made to Housing Options as soon as possible before you are discharged.

If you are threatened with homelessness within 56 days, you can make an application for assistance to the council under the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017.

The council has a duty to assess your case and agree a personalised plan with you and provide assistance to try and prevent your homelessness. There are a wide range of services available to help people who are at risk of homelessness, ranging from assistance with managing in their current home to rehousing into more suitable accommodation, perhaps with specialised support tailored to the individual’s needs. The Housing Options team can assist you with this as well as helping you access other services.

For further information on housing options or to apply for assistance contact the Housing Options team.

Homeless on discharge from hospital

If you are homeless the council will help you find alternative accommodation or may offer you temporary accommodation if you have an apparent priority need. You may be in priority need because you have been in hospital or for other reasons such as mental health issues or a physical disability. The council will also need to establish if you are eligible (have a right to stay indefinitely in the UK), not intentionally homeless, and whether you have a local connection. If you do not have a local connection you may be referred back to another local authority where you do.

Out of hours discharge

If you are discharged out of office hours and homeless the Emergency Duty Team (EDT) may provide bed and breakfast. The telephone number for the Emergency Duty Team is 0300 123 8123. The Housing Options team will then fully assess your case the next working day.

Visitors to accident and emergency who may be homeless

If you attend accident and emergency and you are homeless or threatened with homelessness or at risk of rough sleeping, you should get urgent advice from the services listed below:

Housing Options

Housing Options offer advice and assistance for anyone who is homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. They can provide emergency housing as well as access to private rented and supported accommodation and advice on all housing options.


Upstream is an advice service in Cheshire and Warrington for single people who may be at risk of rough sleeping and which targets people leaving prison, hospital or supported housing.

  • Telephone: 0800 234 6007 (24 hours)

Rough Sleeper Hotline

Support for anyone who is thought to be rough sleeping.

  • Rough Sleeper Hotline 0300 123 2442 (24 hours)

St Werburgh's Medical Practice for the Homeless

St Werburgh's Medical Practice for the Homeless is responsible for providing primary care services for the homeless population of Chester and the surrounding areas.

  • Telephone: 01244 665 834

Accommodation finder

Our accommodation finder self help pack can be used by anyone trying to find accommodation in the Cheshire West and Chester area. You can increase your chances of finding something suitable by considering the full range of housing options available to you as well as knowing what you can afford. 

Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.