Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Houses of multiple occupation and extended mandatory licensing

Further advice

For landlords with HMO property, the following information is useful to display on a notice board in the communal area:

  • landlord contact details
  • emergency contact details for any electrician/plumber/heating engineer if arrangements are in place for urgent repairs
  • gas safety certificate
  • fire alarm test log
  • fire evacuation information and fire safety instructions, e.g. fire doors to be kept shut, no smoking, no candles
  • waste and recycling information and collection days
  • HMO licence (if applicable)

Please note that planning permission may be required to operate a HMO and you are advised to contact the planning department for more details. Houses in multiple occupation can be home for some of the more vulnerable members of society and there is a greater risk of fire in such properties. This is why there is additional legislation specific to HMOs.

Submit an information request

If you need any further advice and support, please contact us: