Landlord incentive project
We would like to end rough sleeping and would like private landlords to help us achieve our ambition. The Landlord Incentive Project (LIP) is a 12 month pilot which aims to increase access to new private rented sector tenancies for vulnerable adults who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.
LIP will support up to 25 tenancies in the private rented sector. The project offer will include:
- financial incentives to landlords that provide us with accommodation for single people
- a single point of contact for landlords in the Housing Options team
- support for tenants to help them move in and maintain their tenancy
What we need from private landlords
We need landlords to provide good quality and affordable one-bed or bedsit accommodation in any part of the borough including: Chester, Ellesmere Port, Northwich and Winsford. We would ideally like tenants to be offered a 12-month tenancy.
What is available for private landlords?
The financial incentives available to landlords are:
Rent in advance up to £1,500
Up to three months rent paid in advance at the start of the tenancy. This will ensure the tenant’s rent account is in credit from the outset and will allow time for any claim for Universal Credit to be made.
Cash deposit up to £500
A cash deposit covering a months rent provided to the landlord who then protects it in a Government approved Deposit Protection Scheme.
One-off incentive payment of £250
An incentive payment provided to a landlord five days after the tenancy has been signed.
Support for tenants
The project will also:
- help tenants pay for white goods and furniture, if required
- carry out support needs assessments and affordability checks to ensure that we match the right property with the right person
- help tenants claim Universal Credit housing costs and provide ongoing advice and support to the tenant over the 12 months - there will be communication with landlords throughout the process.