Skip to main content

Guidance for organising a street party

What sort of events does this apply to?

The guide is for the sort of street parties that groups of residents get together to arrange for their neighbours. The main differences between a small street party and other public events are listed below:

 Street parties: Other public events:
For residents/neighbours only  Anyone can attend
Publicity only to residents  External publicity (such as in newspapers)
In a quiet residential road or street In buildings, parks etc
Self-organised  Professional/skilled organisers
£1m Public Liability Insurance for road closures. Insurance needed
No formal risk assessment needed  Risk assessment common
No licences normally necessary if music incidental and no selling of alcohol is involved Licence usually needed

Small, private street parties generally do not include activities that need a licence, such as selling alcohol or providing certain types of entertainment. If you want to have a pay bar or intend to provide entertainment to the wider public, you may need a temporary event notice which is a type of temporary permission which costs £21 and covers events for less than 500 people.

Please bear in mind that the Council's Licensing Team, Environmental Health Team and the police must receive copies of the completed temporary event notice at least 10 working days before the day of the proposed event, for a standard TEN, and environmental health or the police may object if they have concerns.

Larger public events attracting more people will require a different process. If you would like to hold a larger public event, please contact our Licensing Team for further information and advice on:

For further information about organising larger events, please contact the Licensing team.

Road closure requests

Cheshire West and Chester Council considers road closures for street parties or small community events.  If a community is looking to hold a street party they need to:

  • Seek permission from the land owner.
  • If this is the highway, the event organiser will need to seek a road closure from the Council. The organisers should seek support from all the properties affected by the closure prior to the request to close the road.
  • If the general support is in place they will need to submit an event application form to the Council. 
  • All road closures will need a legal road closure order under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1994 Special Events 16A. For a community street party, the Council will provide this free of charge.
  • To close a road the risks to users will be assessed by the Council. For busy roads and through roads there will be a requirement for a qualified and approved traffic management person to install the signs and cones. This can be contracted in by the organiser and would be at a cost to the organiser.  The Council has a list of some companies who operate this service in the Borough. The Council does not supply this service.
  • For a cul-de-sac, the signs will need to meet the requirements of the signage act and the organiser will be contacted as to the details of this.
  • All road closures will be required to display Advanced Warning signs to inform of the closure two week prior to the event.
  • Where an event is on a Cheshire West and Chester Council highway, the Council will require Public Liability Insurance to the value of £1m. If it is a very large street party with over 250 people, it would be questioned if this is for the local community. At this point the insurance level is likely to be increased.
  • For all events, the organiser should write an event plan which includes a risk assessment. Guidance on this can be found on the Council web site.
  • To hold an event on the weekend of the 11/12 June we would ask for event applications to be made by 29 April.
  • Events will be confirmed by 14 May.
  • Advanced warning signs need to be in place two weeks prior to the event on the roads impacted.
  • The event documents including the event plan and the insurance will need to be with the Council by the 1 June if the party is on the 11 or 12 of June.  If your party is on an alternative date the Council will discuss this with you.
  • Once a legal closure order is in place, the dates and times cannot be changed on the day in the event of bad weather.

Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.