Private boat licences
Every privately owned powered boat must be registered before use.
How to apply
- By post: Customer Services, Cheshire West and Chester Council, The Forum, Chester CH1 2HS.
- Alternatively, forms may be submitted to Customer Services at the Forum Offices.
- Boat registering and licensing 2019 (PDF, 235KB)
- Please contact our Customer Services team on 0300 123 7737 for more information.
Daily boat license
A daily boat licence for the River Dee can be purchased by contacting our Licensing Team, Monday to Friday, at least 24 hours in advance: email@example.com .
Alternatively, you could purchase a daily boat license from The Chester Boat Hire Staff at the river bank at The Groves, Chester, CH1 1SD. However, they do have limited operation hours which are seasonal and weather dependent.
What information do i need to provide for a daily boat license?
You will need to provide the following to be able to purchase a license:
- Your name, address, the boat name, your boat insurance details, the date you want the license for and a contact phone number to make a card payment.
Please note: a four hour maximum stay applies to vehicles parked at Sandy Lane car park. Licence holders can obtain a permit to allow parking for over four hours and the following charges apply:
- Day /Weekly licences - free for up to four hours, £2.00 for over four hours
- Annual Licence holders may purchase an annual parking pass for £20.00 (runs concurrent with annual licence)
Private boat licence fees
The fee for a first registration is £73.