Stray and abandoned dogs
What happens if we find your dog?
If your dog can be identified by a tag or if they have been chipped and the registration details are up to date, we will try to return it to you as soon as possible.
If your dog is found during the on-duty hours of the dog warden, and you are available, we can deliver the dog back to you without taking the dog to kennels. This is chargeable at a reduced cost of £40.
The on-duty hours are:
- Summer (BST): Monday – Sunday (including bank holidays), 1pm - 7pm
- Winter (GMT): Monday – Sunday (including bank holidays), 12pm - 4pm
However, if we can't locate you or if your dog keeps straying, it will be taken to the kennels and the standard fee below will be charged.
What to do if your dog is taken to the kennels
You can collect your dog from the kennels. You will need to provide proof of address before the dog is released. Please phone the kennels to confirm that your dog is being held and discuss arrangements for collection before making the journey.
You can find the photos of the dogs we currently have held at the kennels on our stray dog photographs page.
- Telephone: 01948 662931
- Address: Acorn Kennels, Heath Road, Whitchurch, SY13 2AA
- Open 8am to 6pm every day
Your dog will be held at the kennels until it is claimed or seven days has passed.
How much will it cost if my dog is taken to kennels?
- It will cost £95 on the first day plus £12 per day for every additional day or part day of the dog’s stay. The first day’s fee includes a release fee and transport of the dog back to you if this can be arranged during normal working hours.
- Transport can be arranged with Acorn Kennels outside normal hours but there is a transport fee which should be agreed with the kennels direct.
- If your dog is ill then a vet is consulted and appropriate treatment given. You will also be responsible for meeting the vet's charges.
- All payments should be made to Acorn Kennels.