Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Animal welfare

We help and advise farmers in complying with the law by:

  • monitoring animal movements by licence
  • checking movement and associated records on farms
  • monitoring welfare standards of animals which are kept on a farm or are in transit or exposed for sale in livestock markets
  • monitoring the rules relating to the carcass of any animal found on agricultural premises
  • planning for rabies, foot and mouth and bird flu outbreaks
  • investigating complaints relating to livestock movements or welfare issues
  • holding supplies of the main statutory records movement documents

Where to find help

opens new window
opens new window
  • RSPCA cruelty line, telephone: 0300 1234 999 (this is a 24 hour service)
  • Dangerous dogs should be reported to Cheshire Police by telephone on 101.

Additional help for farmers

  • Rural stress information network: 024 7641 2916 (weekdays 9am - 5pm)
  • Royal agricultural benevolent fund: 01865 727 888 (weekdays 9am - 5pm / 4.30pm Friday)
  • Farm Community Network: 03000 111 999 (opening hours - 7pm to 11pm daily)

Animal registration and licences

The council licenses all animal boarding kennels, pet shops, riding schools and zoos annually, for which there is a charge.

Animal registration and licences

Barking dogs

We may get involved if a persistently barking dog becomes disturbing or annoying for neighbours.

If an informal visit to the householder with a noisy dog does not prevent significant disturbance, we will look into what further action can be taken.

I want to keep a wild animal

You made need a licence to keep certain dangerous wild animals. To apply or for further information contact the Council's Regulatory Services Team on the following number: 0300 123 7038. Further information regarding dangerous animals is available on the Defra website.