Skip to main content

Food and food hygiene complaints

How to complain

Sometimes something goes wrong and food that is sold is not acceptable. Foreign objects in food are one type of complaint, however not all pose a health risk.  Sometimes, however, problems with food may lead to food poisoning.

For minor problems it's best to complain directly to the company that sold you the food. Most large supermarket chains have an efficient quality control and complaints procedure to help you make a food complaint and get a refund.

What types of complaints we deal with 

We deal with complaints that pose a public health risk, such as food that:

  • is not safe to eat or actually makes you ill
  • is so contaminated that it could not reasonably be eaten 
  • contains a foreign object (such as a fragment of glass in a loaf of bread)

However we won't get involved in compensation claims. Compensation claims are a civil matter that must be taken up with the manufacturer and, if necessary, go to court. For complaints where the risk to the public is low, details will be logged for information purposes.

Where to find help

  • By post: Regulatory Services, Wyvern House, Winsford, CW7 1AH
  • Telephone: 0300 123 7038

Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.