It is an offence to produce dark smoke from an open fire on trade or business premises.
Where to find help
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0300 123 7 038
All diesel engines produce some smoke when they are started and during acceleration. If you spot a heavy-duty vehicle producing excessive smoke you can report it to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0300 123 9000
Chimney height approval
The Clean Air Act requires the heights of certain chimneys to be approved. Installations in 'normal' domestic premises would not normally need approval. Those requiring approval are those serving furnaces, boilers or similar appliances that:
- Burn pulverised fuel
- Burn, at a rate of 45.4kg or more per hour, or any other solid matter, or
- Burn at a rate equivalent to 366.4kW or more, any liquid or gaseous matter
- Due to the size of these furnaces, this is only likely to apply to industrial or commercial premises.
This is in addition to any other permissions (such as planning permission or environmental permitting) that may be required, and also applies to replacements as well as new installations.
Please complete the application form below and return it to us. The application for chimney height approval must contain adequate information to enable the necessary calculations to be carried out. Your application will be processed within 28 days.