What to submit with your planning application

This page is intended to help you understand what we expect you to submit with your planning application.

Minimum national requirements

These apply to all applications and you can see them and apply online via the planning portal. Your application must meet these requirements or it cannot be processed.

Minimum local supporting information

As a minimum, we expect certain information to be submitted with particular types of planning application. You can check what information you need to submit with your application in the table below. If you do not submit the information it may delay your application or mean that it cannot be approved.

Local supporting information is not automatically required at this time if your application is:

  • for something other than planning permission (e.g. you are applying for prior approval, listed building consent or a lawful development certificate)
  • for householder development (e.g. a house extension or domestic outbuilding)
  • for any non-residential development which creates less than 40 square metre of new-build floorspace

In all other cases, you are expected to submit additional information as summarised in the table below:

Full and outline planning applications for:

Sustainable construction information

Biodiversity net gain metric and plan

 Health impact information

Householder development

Not required

Not required

Not required

Change of use

Not required

Not required

Required where 10 or more dwellings are to be provided

New-build dwellings (one or more new-build houses/flats in use class C3)


  • Sustainable Housing Statement
  • Sustainable Construction Checklist

Required for

  • major development
  • for minor development where there is loss or significant impact on priority habitat **

Required for major development*

All other development

  • Sustainable Construction Checklist if creating more than 40sqm new-build floorspace
  • BREEAM assessment for major development*

Required for:

  • major development
  • for minor development where there is loss or significant impact on priority habitat **

Required for major development*

More details about the full requirements and how to submit can be found on the relevant web pages:

*For the purposes of these documents, major development is:

  • the provision of 10 or more dwelling houses (this includes flats, but doesn’t include change of use/conversion)
  • if the number of dwellings is not known (e.g. in an application for outline permission), residential development of a site having an area of 0.5 hectares or more
  • a new building or buildings with floorspace of 1,000 square metres or more
  • where the proposed floorspace is not known, development carried out on a site having an area of 1 hectare or more

Please note that this is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the information you may need to support your application; your planning officer may still advise you to submit further supporting information during the application process.

General guidance about making an application can be found on the Gov.UK website.