Chester to Ellesmere Port canal towpath improvements
Work to upgrade sections of the Shropshire Union Canal towpath between Chester and Ellesmere Port is scheduled to begin in September 2020.
The scheme has been developed in partnership with the Canal & River Trust, who hold the guardianship of the canal and towpath. The project will see the upgrade of three sections of towpath, 4.7km in total, along the canal between Chester and Ellesmere Port, which are part of National Cycle Routes 45 and 70. The towpaths will benefit from widening together with improved surfacing and access points.
The work will complement a project completed in 2019 at Thornton Road, Ellesmere Port, which linked the canal towpath to Cheshire Oaks retail area via a new pedestrian footbridge. The project also supports our Climate Emergency declaration and commitment to help West Cheshire to become carbon neutral by 2045.
The scheme will provide health and environmental benefits while promoting a well-connected and accessible borough. The project will also help to improve local connectivity, accessibility and mobility
Sections of the towpath to be upgraded include:
- Between Bridge 134 – Bridge 133 Section of the canal between Chorlton Lane/ Caughall Road past Chester Zoo to Liverpool Road canal bridge
- Between Bridge 133 – Bridge 131 continues the canal section above from Liverpool Road to the area adjacent to Old Oaks Golf course (before Countess of Chester Hospital)
- Between Bridge 123 – Bridge 122B Section of canal from A51 Vicars Cross (near Chester Boughton Hall Cricket club) to the A41 near Pearl Lane
The scheme value is £1.22m, consisting of £460,000 of funding secured from the Cheshire & Warrington Local Enterprise Partnership’s Local Growth Fund and £760,000 match funding from us (including developer contributions).
The Canal and River Trust will appoint Kier, their National Engineering & Construction Contractor to construct the three sections along the Shropshire Union Canal. The works will begin in September 2020 and are expected to be complete by Spring 2021.
Copies of the proposed plans and other documents:
- Design drawings for Section One and Two - Bridge 134 – Bridge 133, Bridge 133 – Bridge 131 (PDF, 2.6MB)
- Design drawings for Section Three - Bridge 123 – Bridge 122B (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Design drawings for Canal Towpath Access Point Improvements (PDF, 1MB)
- Design drawing for Thornton Road (PDF, 0.7MB)
- Outline Business Case (PDF, 4.6MB)
- Temporary diversions, closures and notices (PDF, 240KB)
Please revisit this webpage for future updates regarding the construction programme for the scheme, including temporary diversions and closures.