Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Club premises certificate

Qualifying clubs require a club premises certificate to supply alcohol and provide regulated entertainment including films, music, singing and dancing.

A qualifying club must satisfy a number of conditions, the minimum of which are below:

  • a person may not be given memberships or as a candidate for membership must not be given any membership privileges without an interval of at least two days from their membership application or nomination and their membership being granted
  • club rules state that those becoming members without nomination or application cannot have membership privileges for at least two days between them becoming members and being admitted to the club
  • the club is established and conducted in good faith
  • the club has at least 25 members
  • alcohol is only sold to members on the premises on behalf or by the club

Who can apply?

A qualifying club can apply for a club premises certificate for any premises which are occupied and used regularly for club purposes. The club must carry on activities from premises to which public access is restricted and alcohol is supplied other than for profit.

Applications must be accompanied with a plan of the premises and the club rules.

Apply for a club premises certificate

As well as applying for a club premises certificate, you will also need to complete the club declaration form, which will be available at the end of the club premises licence application. It is a declaration that your club meets qualifying club status and must accompany your application for a club premises certificate.

How long are certificates valid for?

Certificates are valid indefinitely, however failure to pay the annual fee will result in the licence being suspended.


Licensing fees

What happens next?

Following submission of a successful application, we will normally reach a decision within 28 days. However if a person or responsible authority such as the police make a representation about your application, we will hold a hearing to discuss the application and concerns raised. The outcome of the hearing may be a decision to:

  • grant the certificate in accordance with the application
  • grant the certificate with amendments/additional conditions
  • refuse the application

If any party is unhappy with the decision reached at the hearing they can appeal to the court within 21 days of the decision.

Vary your certificate

You can apply to vary your licence, for example if you wish to add a licensable activity, extend the hours or change the layout of the premises.

There are two types of variations, full and minor. Each variation attracts a different fee.

It is possible to make small changes to your premises licence or club premises certificate through the minor variation process which is cheaper, easier and quicker than the full variation process.

Surrender your certificate

Where a club which holds a club premises certificate decides to surrender it, the club may give the licensing authority a notice to that affect.

Apply to surrender your certificate (PDF, 231KB)

How can I find out what a club is licensed for?

You can find what activities and hours a club is licensed for by searching our public register.

The Live Music Act 2012 also highlights which activities are licensable.

Review a certificate

If problems persist and are serious in nature you can request a review of your certificate.

Notification of interest in a premises

If you have an interest in a premises you can register a notification of interest. Anyone with an interest in the property can apply however your application will only be accepted if you are:

  • the freeholder/leaseholder
  • a legal mortgagee
  • a person in occupation of the property

The notice will last for 12 months and you will need to give us new notice each year. There is a fee to register for a notification of interest.

How can I make a complaint?

If you are experiencing problems with a club you can make a complaint.

Make a complaint