Financial support for businesses
The Council has been awarded a further allocation of Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG) by Government to help businesses to recover from the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic and to help rebuild the local economy.
Part of the fund will be used for the Extended Restrictions Grants and the remainder of the Council’s ARG allocation will be used to provide a programme of wider support, which will include a package of direct business support, businesses starting up, a scale up programme and an investor fund. More details of this programme will be announced over the coming weeks.
Information you will need before applying
Before you complete the application form for the Extended Restrictions Grant, please gather the following pieces of information:
- Business rates number - a 9 digit number, starting with 60 - if you are responsible for Business Rates (some businesses work in shared accommodation or from home and will not have this number). You will find your Business Rates Number on your bill sent to you in March 2021.
- Download a current business bank statement (or personal bank statement if you haven’t registered for a Business Bank Account).
- One of the following - Company House number or VAT registration number (a 9 digit code, starting with GB), a Charity Number or Unique Taxpayer Reference number (usually 10 digits), or Partnership Number depending on the legal status of your company.
- Details of any Test and Trace restriction closures.
- Background details about your company.
- Bank account and sort code details, to award a grant payment, if you are successful.
Extended Restrictions Grant eligibility
The Additional Restrictions Grant allocation funding will be used to support businesses that fall into one of the following categories:
- Businesses that have had to close for a period of more than three consecutive days or three occasions over a four-week period as a result of staff needing to self-isolate up to a maximum of 10 days.
- Businesses that were impacted by the extended period of restrictions during July 2021
- Businesses that continue to be significantly financially impacted by the continued impact of pandemic restrictions and that fall outside the above two categories
Businesses that meet the eligibility criteria will be considered for a grant payment, in recognition that these businesses were able to continue trading but were not able to trade fully during this period.
The scheme is open to both businesses responsible for business rates and those without a business rated premises (shared accommodation or working from home).
The business must have been trading on 12 April and must still be trading.
Businesses impacted by the extended period of restrictions and those financially impacted by the continued impact of pandemic restrictions.
One off lump sum payment will be awarded to businesses and will be based on a business’s rateable value. These amounts will be:
- Up to £1,500* for rateable values of £15,000 and under
- Up to £3,000* for rateable values over £15,000 but under £51,000
- Up to £5,000* for rateable values of £51,000 and over.
Where a business meets the criteria but does not have a rateable value (shared accommodation or working from home) a one off lump sum payment of up to £1,500*.
Businesses closed due to staff self-isolating
Eligible businesses will receive up to £200 per day they were closed up to a maximum of £2,000 irrespective of their rateable value. Evidence of closure for each period will be required to validate applications.
*The above amount may reduce if demand is high.
Businesses must apply to the Council via an online form in order to be considered for a grant payment.
If an application is submitted with insufficient evidence or information, it will be refused. Please note, there is no right of appeal and the Council’s original decision will be final.
Businesses should not contact the Council requesting an update on their application.
The grant will be open to applications from Monday 4 October 2021 and will close for applications at midnight on Monday 1 November 2021 or before, if the fund is fully committed before that date. All decisions will be made by 30 November 2021 and you will be notified of this decisions by email.
You may qualify for more than one category but you will only receive one grant award, which is most beneficial to you.