Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Information for landlords


Housing Benefit helps your tenant pay their rent if they are unemployed, unable to work or on a low income.

Landlords and Universal Credit

Universal Credit is gradually replacing Housing Benefit for working age customers. If your tenant is of working age, they must claim through Universal Credit.

If your tenant receives Universal Credit and their housing costs are included within their payments, they are not eligible for Housing Benefit. There are exceptions where Housing Benefit can still be claimed, such as if a tenant:

  • lives in supported or exempt accommodation
  • is of Pension Credit age
  • has been placed in temporary accommodation.

Only the tenant can apply for Housing Benefit. Their entitlement depends on their personal circumstances and their household, as well as the level of rent. Landlords cannot apply for benefits on behalf of a tenant.