Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

The right to object

You have the right to object to the use of your personal data in some circumstances. If we agree to your objection, we will stop using your data for that purpose unless we have strong and legitimate reasons to continue. You have an absolute right to object to us using your data for direct marketing.

How to object

Before objecting you will need to check with us why we are processing your data. You can check this by reviewing our service privacy notices. This is because you can only object to processing when we are using your data:

  • to carry out one of our official duties as a local authority or in the public interest
  • for our legitimate interests
  • for scientific or historical research or statistical purposes
  • for direct marketing

If you want to object, you should inform us that you object to any more processing of your data. You need to set out in your objection why you believe we should stop using your data in this way.

A request can be verbal or in writing. We recommend you follow up any verbal request in writing because this will allow you to explain your concern, give evidence and state your desired solution. It will also provide clear proof of your actions if you decide to challenge our initial response.

Before you begin

In most cases we will need to verify your identify before we can proceed with your request. When we do need to you will need to provide two copies of ID to confirm who you are. You will be shown a list of which ID is accepted when you apply.

If you are making a request on behalf of another person, you will also need to provide their ID and their permission for you to act as their representative.

Make a request
  • By post: Data Protection Officer, Cheshire West and Chester Council, The Portal, Wellington Road, Ellesmere Port, CH65 0BZ

How long will it take?

We will respond to your request within one calendar month, unless you have made more than one request or the enquiry becomes complex. When this happens your request can take an extra two months to complete.

There is no charge for making a request.

What if I am unhappy with your response?

If you are unhappy with how we have handled your request, use one of the methods below to highlight your concerns:

  • Contact the DPO
  • By post: Data Protection Officer, Cheshire West and Chester Council, The Portal, Wellington Road, Ellesmere Port, CH65 0BZ

Having done so, if you remain unhappy you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

You can also seek to enforce your rights through the courts. If you decide to do this, we strongly advise you to seek independent legal advice first.