Skip to main content

Your right to ask us if we are using a computer to make a decision about you

Under the data protection act this is called the right to automated decision making / profiling. You have the right to question decisions made about you by a computer unless:

  • it's required by a contract you have entered into
  • it's required by law
  • or you’ve consented to it.

You also have the right to object if you are being profiled. Profiling is where decisions are made about you based on certain things in your personal information such as your health conditions.

You will be informed if we use your information to profile you.

How can I make a request?

You should state what service you have accessed using one of our automated tools. Details of these can be found in our service privacy notices.

A request can be verbal or in writing. We recommend you follow up any verbal request in writing because this will allow you to explain your concern, give evidence and state your desired solution. It will also provide clear proof of your actions if you decide to challenge our initial response.

Make an individual rights request

What information do I need to provide?

In most cases, we will need to verify your identify before we can proceed with your request. If this is the case, you need to provide two copies of ID to confirm who you are. You will be shown a list of which ID is accepted when you apply.

If you are making a request on behalf of another person, you will also need to provide their ID and their permission for you to act as their representative.


There is no charge for making a request.

How long will it take?

We will respond to your request within one calendar month, unless you have made more than one request or the enquiry becomes complex. When this occurs your request can take an extra two months to complete.

What if I am unhappy with your response?

If you are unhappy with how we have handled your request, use one of the methods below to highlight your concerns:

Having done so, if you remain unhappy you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

You can also seek to enforce your rights through the courts. If you decide to do this, we strongly advise you to seek independent legal advice first.

Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.