Skip to main content

Your right to data portability

You have the right to ask for your personal information to be given back to you or another service provider of your choice in a commonly used format. Under the data protection act this is called the right to data portability.

The right only applies to data that is held electronically and if you have provided it by consent to us. It is more than likely that data portability won’t apply to most of the services you receive from us. This right is similar to your right of access but there are some differences.

Data you have provided does not just mean information you have typed. It may include data we have gathered from monitoring your activities when you have used a device or service.

How to ask us for your data

To exercise your right to portability you should state what data you want.

A request can be verbal or in writing. We recommend you follow up any verbal request in writing because this will allow you to explain your concerns, give evidence and state your desired solution. It will also provide clear proof of your actions if you decide to challenge our initial response.

Before you begin

We may need to verify your identify before we can proceed with your request. If this is the case, you will need to provide two forms of ID to confirm who you are. You will be shown a list of which ID is accepted when you apply.

If you are making a request on behalf of another person, you will also need to provide their ID and their permission for you to act as their representative.

Make an individual rights request

How much will it cost?

There is no charge for making a request.

How long will it take?

We will respond to your request within one calendar month, unless you have made more than one request or the enquiry becomes complex. When this occurs your request can take an extra two months to complete.

What if I am unhappy with your response?

If you are unhappy with how we have handled your request, use one of the methods below to highlight your concerns:

Having done so, if you remain unhappy you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

You can also seek to enforce your rights through the courts. If you decide to do this, we strongly advise you to seek independent legal advice first.

Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.