Skip to main content

Your right to get your data corrected

If you consider that certain information we hold is in accurate you can ask for it to be rectified/changed.  Under the Data Protection Act, this is called the 'Right to Rectification'.  We may not always be able to change or remove that information but we’ll correct factual inaccuracies and may include your comments in the record to show that you disagree with it.

How to get your data corrected

To exercise your right you should inform us that you are challenging the accuracy of your data and want it corrected. You should:

  • state clearly what you believe is inaccurate or incomplete
  • explain how the organisation should correct it, and
  • where available, provide evidence of the inaccuracies.

A request can be verbal or in writing. We recommend you follow up any verbal request in writing because this will allow you to explain your concern, give evidence and state exactly what you need. It will also provide clear proof of your request if you decide to challenge our response.

Before you begin

In most cases, we will need to verify your identify before we can proceed with your request. When we do need to, you will need to provide two copies of ID to confirm who you are. You will be shown a list of which ID is accepted when you apply.

If you are making a request on behalf of another person, you will also need to provide their ID and their permission for you to act as their representative.

Make an individual rights request

How much will it cost?

There is no charge for making a request.

How long will it take?

We will respond to your request within one calendar month, unless you have made more than one request or the enquiry becomes complex. When this occurs your request can take an extra two months to complete.

What if I am unhappy with your response?

If you are unhappy with how we have handled your request, use one of the methods below to highlight your concerns:

Having done so, if you remain unhappy you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

You can also seek to enforce your rights through the courts. If you decide to do this, we strongly advise you to seek independent legal advice first.

Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.