Household Support Fund
The government has provided Household Support Funding to local authorities for the period 1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024.
Having consulted with local organisations about how best to help people in Cheshire West and Chester, we have chosen to spend the money in the following ways:
The Council will be allocating £15 per week for each free school meal pupil to ensure families have the necessary financial support for food during the school holiday periods. There is no need for families to apply for this support as schools in Cheshire West and Chester will distribute the vouchers to eligible families prior to the following school holiday periods.
- Easter Break 2023
- May half term break
- 6-week summer break
- October 2023 half term break
- Christmas 2023 break
- February 2024 half term break
During the course of 2023/24, we will make payments to residents who are in receipt of housing benefits only and who are not eligible for the cost-of-living payment paid by the Department for Work and Pensions. We will be using the housing benefit database to locate these customers, there is no need to apply.
Local community and charitable organisations have been allocated funding to help support people in need of food, fuel or other essential living costs.
Cheshire and Warrington Carers Trust
Carers can apply to the Cheshire and Warrington Carers Trust for Household Support Fund grants to fund essential items and costs. For further information relating to applications to Cheshire and Warrington Carers Trust please call 0300 102 0008 Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm.
Citizens Advice Cheshire West
Citizens Advice Cheshire West provides help and advice to residents who are struggling to pay for energy. Additional support from the Household Support Fund will be used to help those most in need with prepayment gas and electricity top-ups, wood oil and Calor gas. We may also be able to help towards account arrears and other essential household costs.
You must be a resident of west Cheshire and:
- receiving a means-tested benefit
- provide evidence of your means-tested benefit or household income below £25,000
- provide proof of address
- details of pre payment meter or copy of most recent energy bill.
When to apply
Applications to the Heating Bank will open at 10am on the following dates:
- Wednesday 2 August
- Thursday 5 September
Funds are limited for each application window and applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis until the funds are exhausted.
The form will close once the funds have been allocated.
Number of Awards
- One award per household, per month.
Dial West Cheshire
Individuals and organisations can make a referral to Dial West Cheshire for consideration under the Household Support Fund by completing the online referral form.
If you are not able to use the online referral form please call Dial West Cheshire Advice Line 01244 345655.
Cheshire West Voluntary Action (CWVA) and the Welcome Network
Cheshire West Voluntary Action (CWVA) and the Welcome Network will be providing grants to charities and community and voluntary sector groups to support people in their local areas.
If you need additional financial assistance, due to exceptional hardship, you may be eligible for help with food, energy, or other essentials.
Due to the volume of applications being received it may take up to four weeks to process. Please don’t contact us for any updates as this will only cause further delays. We will advise all applicants of the outcome of their application when a decision has been made.
- You may only make one application in any 6-month period.
- If you live with a spouse or partner, you must make a joint application for your household, even if your spouse/partner is not applying. Your eligibility will depend on your joint income and savings.
- All applications relating to exceptional support are required to provide proof of household income. We may also request further information relating to your income and expenditure during the application assessment.
- Applications where the necessary supporting evidence is not included may be rejected.
- If you are unable to complete the application online please call 0808 175 3599 (freephone).