It is advised that parents and carers arrange to visit the preferred schools prior to making an application, as once the place is offered, it may not be possible to accommodate a change of preference later in the process.
Applying for a school place
As required by law, we make arrangements for parents and carers to express their preference for the school where they wish their child to be educated and an opportunity to give reasons for their preference before any places are offered. The co-ordinated admissions process provides a way for ensuring that as far as it is practical, every parent living in an English local authority area receives a single offer of a school place on the same day. All English local authorities are required to provide a common application form (CAF), which allows for at least three school preferences, for parents and carers resident within an authority. All school preferences must be included on the home authority’s form.
- you will be asked to provide some personal information (such as name, address) in order to process your application. Where required, your data will be forwarded to schools, other local authorities and relevant Council departments to consider and/or verify the information you provide
- you can express up to three preferences for any English authority schools
- you cannot express a preference for a school in Wales, Scotland, Ireland or abroad.
- In addition, you cannot apply for a place at an independent (private) school. If you wish to do so you will need to contact the school directly
- if you reside in another English authority, you will need to apply directly to your home authority, even if the school you wish to apply for is in Cheshire West and Chester
- the address stated on your application must be the address the child resides at the time of application and not a future address. Further information on moving house can be found on our general information page.
- we will only discuss details of the application with the applicant unless an additional contact is named on the application