Skip to main content

Apply for school transport

Children transferring from primary to secondary school in September 2020

This year we have made a change to the process for determining eligibility for home to school transport for children transferring to secondary school in September 2020 and there is no need for you to apply for transport to us. Your child will automatically have their eligibility assessed and you will be informed of the outcome by 1 June 2020 (please note this does not apply to change in preference/late/ in year applications).

If your child is deemed not to be eligible for transport you will be advised of the appeal process in your outcome letter.

If your child is deemed to be eligible for transport your bus pass will be sent out to you by Friday 14 August 2020 (please note this does not apply to change in preference/late/in year applications).

If you have not heard about your eligibility by 1 June 2020 or received a bus pass by Friday 14 August 2020 please contact the School Transport Team on 0300 123 7039.

If you change your admissions school preference or you submit a late admissions application there will be a delay in when you will be notified of your transport eligibility.

You should still submit a transport application if:

  • your child will be in primary school in September 2020, or
  • you have made an in-year school admissions application

Before you apply

You need to see if you will qualify before you make an application. You also need to make sure you have read our policy documents and privacy notice.

Please note for any applications for the next school year we will not be able to assess your transport eligibility until after you have been allocated a school place. For the 2020/21 school year the secondary school offer day is 2 March 2020 and primary is 16 April 2020. If you submit your transport application before you have been offered a school place we will not be able to consider it.

To assist with the transport planning process we ask that transport applications be submitted to us by 19 June. Applications submitted after this date will be considered in the date order received. If you apply after 31 July transport will not be guaranteed for the start of the new school year.

For applications outside of the annual application process (the current academic year) we will try to provide this within 10 working days. Where this is not possible, we will advise families and make a transport offer as soon as possible.


This application is if your child is attending a mainstream school and does not have a disability that prevents them from accessing a mainstream school bus or public transport services, and they are aged between 4 and 16.

Application for primary and secondary school

Special educational needs (SEN)/disability

This application is if your child has a SEN, Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or a disability which has a substantial long-term effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities but does not have an EHCP.

SEN application

Medical needs

This application is if your child has a medical condition that presents a short term physical difficulty, for example, a broken bone.

Medical needs application

Over 16

There is no legal duty for us to provide over 16 transport for mainstream students. However we will consider individual cases where the student is attending their local college and hardship or low income can be demonstrated.

Discretionary hardship application

You may also be able to access alternative sources of funding for your travelling. Examples of funding sources include the 16-19 Bursary Fund and Concessionary Travel. More information can be found on our benefits advice page.

Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.