Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Choosing accommodation

Over time your housing needs may change and you may require housing with care. If your housing needs do change, speak to your landlord or housing provider to see if they can offer alternative accommodation more suited to your needs.

There are no real definitions of housing with care schemes. However, terms you may come across include: sheltered housing, retirement villages, assisted living, extra care and close care. The most popular forms of housing with care are detailed below.

Sheltered housing

There are various properties in Cheshire West that are set aside for those over 55 years old, or disabled people under 55 years old, who wish to live independently with the reassurance of knowing someone is close at hand to offer support.

In a sheltered housing scheme, you would have your own flat or house with low-level support available to help you remain independent. There may also be a communal lounge, laundry facilities, lifts, door entry systems and specially adapted facilities. There will be a scheme manager who may live on or off-site.

For more information call the Housing Solutions Advice Line on 0808 175 3595, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 9am to 5pm or Wednesday, 1pm to 5pm.

Extra Care housing

Extra Care housing promotes independent living and provides older residents with their own home in a communal development, where 24-hour care and support services are available as required. Each development consists of one and two bedroom apartments with options available for rent, shared ownership or purchase.

There are several Extra Care schemes across the Borough and more in development. To be considered for Extra Care housing in Cheshire West, applicants should be over 55 years old and have a local connection to the area.

For more information about the schemes and how to apply

Supported Living

Supported Living can be delivered in various settings, including individual flats or houses, clusters of self-contained flats on the same site, shared accommodation and Extra Care housing. The individual, a private landlord, a housing association, a local authority or a charity may own the property and care and support is arranged separately.

For further information, contact the Cheshire West Community Access Team

Housing related support service

From April 2018, ForViva will provide a housing related support service to assist the Council with its duties to reduce and prevent homelessness. This support service will provide homeless prevention services such as:

  • floating support and resettlement support
  • advice and information hubs
  • supported accommodation
  • outreach service to people sleeping rough
  • direct access emergency accommodation
  • targeted support to people at risk of homelessness, especially young people.

To contact the service, contact the Housing Solutions Advice line.

  • Telephone: 0808 175 3595

Shared Lives

Shared Lives is a service available to adults at risk aged 16 and over who need support, or support and accommodation, to live full and social lives, provided by Vivo Care Choices.

Shared Lives offers an alternative to day services, respite care and residential care. It is particularly beneficial for adults with a learning disability, older people and adults with dementia.

Vivo care choices
  • Telephone: 0300 123 5059