Housing benefit

Information for landlords

Housing Benefit helps your tenant pay their rent if they are unemployed, unable to work or on a low income.

Universal Credit

If your tenant receives Universal Credit and their housing costs are included within this they are not eligible for Housing Benefit.

Universal Credit is gradually replacing Housing Benefit for working age customers. If your tenant is working age they must claim through Universal Credit.

Exceptions where Housing Benefit can still be claimed

  • if they live in supported/exempt accommodation
  • if they have more than three children (unless they are already in receipt of Universal credit)
  • they are of Pension Credit age
  • they have been placed in temporary accommodation

Only the tenant can apply for Housing Benefit. Their entitlement depends on their personal circumstances and their household as well as the level of rent. Landlords cannot apply for benefits on behalf of a tenant.

Information we can give you

If you call us, we can only give you limited information, unless with have authority to speak to you. Your tenant will need to tell us that you can discuss their claim. They can do this by putting it in writing or by filling out the authority to discuss form (PDF, 110KB).

We can't discuss information with you because of data protection law and the information they give us is confidential.

In some circumstances we can discuss some information with you. This is if you are treated as a 'person affected'. This means that you have rights under Housing Benefit regulations. A landlord is a person affected when:

  • we are looking to recover an overpayment from you - we can tell you the amount, period and reasons why its being recovered
  • we are paying Housing Benefit directly to you - we can tell you the amount, weekly rate and period covered by payments
  • you have asked for direct payments and we have refused - we can tell you why we will not pay you.

Landlords can access information online by registering for the Citizen Portal.

Access your landlord account

This will enable you to:

  • view details of any payments we have made to you
  • view any payment schedule we have issued to you
  • search by payment date or for individual tenants
  • view details of awards and overpayments
  • view copies of documents that we have sent you

Changes of occupation and vacation

Please tell us about changes in your properties. If you email or write to us please include a contact telephone number so that we can contact you if we need more information.

Private Landlord Forum

As part of our commitment to keep you up to date, someone from our team will be available at Cheshire West and Chester's Private Landlord Forum to discuss any issues you may have.