Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Universal credit

Universal Credit is part of the government’s welfare reform programme. Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs and it’s paid monthly.

What does it replace?

  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance (Income Related)
  • Employment Allowance (Income Related)
  • Tax Credits
  • Housing Benefit

If you are working age or have a partner who is working age and are wanting to make a new claim for any of the benefits mentioned above you must now claim through Universal Credit.

There are exceptions where you would need to claim Housing Benefit.

  • if you live in supported/exempt/specified accommodation
  • you are single and are of pension age or have a partner and you are both of pension age
  • you have been placed in temporary accommodation

If you have a change of circumstances that affects the severe disability premium or any other benefits, report it and you’ll be told what to do next.

How do I apply?

You will need the following information with you before you start.

  • Personal information - date of birth and National Insurance Number
  • Household information - the names, ages and gender of those that live with you
  • Banking information - bank name, account number, sort code
  • Rental information - amount you pay, how often you pay, who your landlord is and details of any arrears

Help with Council Tax

If you want to claim for help towards your Council Tax, you need apply for Council Tax Reduction from us. Any delay in submitting your claim to us when you apply for Universal Credit may cause you to lose benefit.

Further information

If you are struggling with your application or need assistance, you can get support by contacting your local Citizens Advice office.

We can offer advice and assistance with:

We are also able to offer funding for training and/or employment, (subject to criteria).