Skip to main content

Universal Credit

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is part of the government’s welfare reform programme. It is a new benefit for working aged people this will eventually replace the following benefits with one monthly payment.

What does it replace? 

  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance
  • Employment Allowance (Income Related)
  • Tax Credits
  • Housing Benefit

If you are working age you must claim through Universal Credit. 

There are exceptions where you would need to claim Housing Benefit.

  • you are of Pension Credit age
  • you are living in supported accommodation such as hostels and refuges
  • you have been placed in temporary accommodation
  • you are in receipt of the Severe Disability Premium

How do I apply?

You will need the following information with you before you start.

  • Personal information - date of birth and National Insurance Number
  • Household information - the names, ages and gender of those that live with you
  • Banking information - bank name, account number, sort code
  • Rental information - amount you pay, how often you pay, who your landlord is and details of any arrears

Apply online

Help with Council Tax

If you want to claim for help towards your Council Tax, you need apply for Council Tax Reduction from us. Any delay in submitting your claim to us when you apply for Universal Credit may cause you to lose benefit.  

Further information

If you are stuggling with your application or need assistance, you can get support by contacting your local Citizens Advice office.

We can offer advice and assistance with:


Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.