Skip to main content

Standards and guidance for landlords

Listed below is a range of information aimed at assisting landlords and managing agents of private rented property. 

How to guides

How to rent – a guide for current and prospective tenants

How to rent a safe home – a guide for current and prospective tenants

How to let – a guide for current and prospective private residential landlords

How to lease – a guide for current and prospective leaseholders

Electrical and Gas Safety Guidance

Energy Performance 

It is now illegal to rent a property that does not achieve an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of band E (SAP 38) or above.  Please note that most electrically heated properties will not be able to achieve this basic rating. You can find the energy efficiency rating of any property by postcode.

Fire Safety in residential accommodation 

Housing Health Safety Rating System 

Legionella update

The Private Sector Housing team have recently been asked questions concerning what responsibilities landlords have in respect of the control and management of the risks associated with legionella.  The following statement has been obtained from the HSE and applies to all landlords who provide residential accommodation:

“Landlords who provide residential accommodation, as the person in control of the premises or responsible for the water system in their premises, have a legal duty to ensure that the risk of exposure of tenants to legionella is properly assessed and controlled. This duty extends to residents, guests, tenants and customers. They can carry out a risk assessment themselves if they are competent, or employ somebody who is.”

  • HSE website - provides guidance on managing the risks.

Property Redress Scheme 

National Landlords Association (NLA)

As a landlord operating in Cheshire West and Chester, you have the opportunity to become an associate member of the National Landlords Association at no cost to you as a landlord. Being an associate member of the NLA gives you free access to template documents such as: tenancy agreements, rent arrears letters etc.

Other useful links

Share this page

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.