Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Building Regulations for homeowners

Do I need Building Regulations?

Depending on the work you're doing you might need to get planning permission or Building Regulation approval, or both. If you go ahead without permission or approval, you might end up having to put things back to how they were.

You need Building Regulation approval to check the work you're doing reaches certain safety and energy efficiency standards.

Building an extension

You will need to apply for permission, unless the extension is exempt, e.g. porch or conservatory.

Converting a loft/garage/basement into a room

You will need to apply for permission, even if it is only a store or hobbies room.

Internal alterations within a house

If the alterations are of a structural nature e.g. the removal or part removal of a load bearing wall, or removal of part or the whole of a chimney, or if they effect fire safety such as changed layouts, etc. you will need to apply for permission.

Permission needs to be granted if you are removing a wall (even a non-load bearing wall) that could affect fire safety within the dwelling, such as a wall that separates a room from the hallway or landing area.

If you are adding a kitchen or bathroom to your house that wasn't already there then regulations are likely to be needed. This is to make sure that there is sufficient drainage and new electric.

Constructing a porch or conservatory

Permission will not be needed provided the floor area is less than 30 square metres, it is substantially of clear or translucent materials (a minimum of 75%) with the external walls at least 50%. It must be separated from the house by a door and if it is constructed at ground floor level.

Installing new or replacement windows

You will need to apply for permission if you are installing or replacing any windows. All owners replacing windows will need to make an application when the work is carried out by a company which is not a member of a competent persons scheme, and the new windows themselves will have to fully meet the requirements of the Building Regulations. An application will not be required where a FENSA registered contractor is used.

Carrying out repairs

If the repairs are of a minor nature and you are replacing less than 25% of the element like for like then you will not need to apply for permission.

If you are unsure or have any doubt about whether your project needs consent you can find out more on the Planning Portal website. Alternatively, you can complete our general enquiry form.

Other types of projects

You will need to get permission if you are going to carry out any of the following projects:

  • any electrical works, unless a competent person on a competent persons scheme carries out the work.
  • changing the use of a building, such as converting a shop into flats or creating a house in multiple occupation (HMO)
  • changing the roof covering
  • underpinning house walls
  • applying new render to external house walls or replastering more than 25% of the external walls of the house
  • installing a wood burning stove