Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

CIL stages

CIL charges

How is CIL calculated?

The amount that you will be liable to pay depends on the size, type and uses of your development.

The amount you pay is calculated using the gross internal area (GIA) of the floor space of all liable buildings within the development. The floor space is then multiplied by the charge for that use type. Where there are a number of use types proposed within a development, the floor space will be split accordingly by type and then multiplied by the relevant charges. Therefore, this information must be provided as part of your planning application. Failure to provide this information may lead to delays with the processing of your planning application. All plans will be measured and checked when you submit them.

CIL includes all floors of a building, not just the ground area. Therefore, if there are three floors of a building each measuring 50 square metres, the total liable area will be 150 square metres.

What are the charges?

Rates are applied dependent on the planning use, and the location of the development, with rates based on financial viability. Types of development that are less viable will have a nil charge.

Cheshire West and Chester has five charging zones:

Index linking

As of 1 January 2020 indexation will be applied to our CIL rate using the RICS CIL Index in line with the 2019 amendments to the CIL Regulations (2010).

Our base rate of indexation is 286. The formula for calculating the CIL indexed rate is set out below:

Gross Internal Area X CIL rate X CIL indexation for the date of permission ÷ CIL indexation for the date of CIL implementation (286)

Liability will be calculated after planning permission is granted. We will issue you with a Liability Notice, indicating liability and the charge for the development.

Deductions for existing use

The gross floor space of any existing buildings on the site that are going to be demolished or reused may be deducted from the calculation of the liability. However, these deductions only apply where the demolition or change of use relates to a building which has been in continuous lawful use for at least six months in the last three years, prior to the development being permitted. In such cases, you must provide evidence of lawful use.

What evidence of lawful use can be used?

If the existing or former use was a business, then evidence may include records from business rates, environmental health, licensing and bank statements.

If it was a residential use, then evidence may include council tax records and utility bills. Evidence must show lawful use for the time period required.

Additional information forms

You are required to provide us with full information about your development, including proposed and existing floor space, as well as plans for each.

We will check all information supplied and provide you with a liability notice explaining our calculations.

What is the difference between liable and chargeable?

A development may be liable, but not chargeable. This will occur where the development meets the conditions for CIL (liable), but a zero rate applies in the charging schedule and is therefore liable but not chargeable. A Liability Notice will still be issued, but will state a zero charge is due.

What is the definition of Gross Internal Area (GIA)?

Gross Internal Area is set out in the Code of Measuring Practice produced by the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors. GIA is the full enclosed area of a building within the external walls. It includes the following:

  • internal walls
  • service areas such as WCs, showers, changing rooms, lift rooms, plant rooms etc.

It excludes things like open balconies and open fire escapes.

A definition of GIA can be found on the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors website.