Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

What permission do I need?

Planning permission

How to apply for planning permission.

Some minor works/uses can be carried out as ‘permitted development’, in which case a planning application is not needed. Further information can be found on the Planning Portal or the Government’s technical guidance. Further information can be found on our permitted development page.

If your proposal is not ‘Permitted Development’ you may need to apply planning permission if you want to:

  • build something new e.g. a new building or an extension
  • change the use of your building

You can find out more about how we decide whether to grant planning permission by viewing our local plan.

If you are intending to apply for planning permission for a house extension or domestic outbuilding (e.g. a garage), specific guidance can be found in our house extensions and domestic outbuildings supplementary planning document.

Building regulation approval

You need building regulation approval to check the work you're doing reaches certain safety and energy efficiency standards. You will probably need building regulation approval for:

  • a new building
  • an extension
  • a loft-conversion
  • alterations to the structure of the building
  • home improvements like a new boiler, radiators, bathroom, fuse box, electric, windows, doors, and roofing

You can check if your work needs building regulation approval on the local authority building control website.

Once you know you need approval you can apply for building regulation approval.