Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Abandoned vehicles

If you need to report a vehicle that has been left on public land, you need to find out if it is taxed or classed as off the road.

Check if a vehicle is taxed

If it is untaxed, then the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will need to remove it.

If it's taxed we will look into it when it has been there for more than 60 days.

They will usually meet the following criteria:

  • poor condition, damaged, run down or unroadworthy.
  • litter/weeds etc, are present underneath the vehicle
  • the vehicle has waste stored inside
  • it has flat tyres
  • mould present inside or outside
  • windscreen or windows are broken
  • one or more number plates are missing

The list is for guidance. The vehicle would not need to fit all of the criteria for it to be considered abandoned.

Report an abandoned vehicle

What we can't help with

Vehicles that are causing an obstruction, are burnt out, stolen, badly parked or are involved in parking disputes. We cannot take any action and this needs to be reported to Cheshire Police using the non-emergency number 101.

If the vehicle is parked on private land you need to report this to the landowner. We can remove abandoned vehicles if requested by the landowner, but the landowner must take legal and financial responsibility.