Skip to main content

Tree problems

Many trees in public spaces are maintained by us including trees in public gardens and parks.

Trees can go over boundary lines into private properties. You do not need to get permission from us before carrying out any upkeep, as long as it is limited to the pruning of side branches back to the boundary line. 

You will need to check whether your property is within a conservation area or whether the tree is protected by Tree Preservation Order (TPO).

You can report an issue about trees in public open spaces, parks and woodlands if the tree is:

  • a barrier to access
  • dead, dying or dangerous trees or branches
  • damaging property or surfaces due to root growth
  • obscuring telephone lines, road or street signs and lamp columns

How do I report it?

If the area has a speed limit of 40 miles per hour (MPH) or less then this needs to be reported to StreetCare. If you don't know the speed limit, you can report it using the same form.


If it is over 50 MPH, this needs to be reported to highways. 


How long does it take?

Timescales vary according to location, season and weather, we are unable to give a specific timescale.

I've already reported an issue

You can check the progress of the report using the forms above. You can also use this to provide an update.

Trees on private property

We do not plant trees on or near property boundaries, any trees or hedges that are on a boundary have been planted by the current or a previous owner. 

If you are unsure who is responsible for maintaining it on the edge of your property, we recommend you check your deeds and speak to your neighbours. We don't provide a private tree cutting service for trees and hedges on private land.

If there is an area where a tree is overhanging onto a public road or footpath, we will contact the land owner and ask them to take action. 

If they do not do this within a reasonable timescale, we will issue them with a formal notice. If they still have not done what was requested, we will cut them back and charge the land owner, this can take six months to action. 

Our app

You are also able to report issues using our app. 

The app is available for download on the app store for your device. Once you have installed the app you will need to sign up with your email address and you will then be able to report issues.

google-play-logo         app-store-logo

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact