Skip to main content

Temporary road closures

We can arrange for a temporary road closure or a diversion of traffic for:

  • any type of road works including requests from utility companies or developers
  • events affecting the highway e.g. street parties, races, village fetes etc.

It could include a complete closure, ‘One Way’ restrictions, banned turns, changes to parking bay restrictions, speed limit changes or weight restriction suspensions.

All closures in Cheshire West and Chester require our approval. We are responsible for preparing and publishing the temporary traffic regulation order which legally allows it to take place. We will also inform various groups and organisations, such as Cheshire Police, the emergency services and local Councillors as soon application is approved.

Conditions and what you will need

Before making an application please note the following conditions and requirements:

  • You will need to check whether your proposal will clash with any other temporary road closures by visiting Roadworks.Org
  • If the closure is agreed it is the applicant's responsibility to identify and notify all residents and businesses directly affected at least 10 days in advance of the closure / restriction being put in place
  • If the planned duration of the road closure is more than five days, the application must be submitted eight weeks before the planned start date, to allow for statutory advertising in local newspapers
  • If the planned duration of the road closure is less than five days, the application must be submitted a minimum of four weeks before the planned start date
  • In the case of emergency road closures that are required immediately, the application can be made retrospectively as soon as reasonably practicable
  • The applicant or their traffic management contractor will be responsible for signing the diversion route and / or any temporary restrictions, and will be responsible for maintaining all necessary signs
  • For planned works, advance warning signs must be erected 14 days prior to the works commencing at each end of the closure
  • All traffic management must comply with the Safety at Street Works and Road Works Code of Practice issued by the Department for Transport
  • Ensure that all signs are maintained and removed upon completion of the restriction
  • Applications from utilities and traffic management companies must include a Streetworks Permit or Section 50 licence reference number

We will also need a 1:1250 or 1:500 scale plan of the proposed site clearly showing the:

  • accurate location and length of restriction including road names
  • accurate location and length of diversion route including road names, designed by a competent traffic management company
  • signing schedule showing details and positions of temporary traffic signs for the diversion
  • proposed access arrangements for pedestrians and cyclists - if access cannot be maintained, reasons must be given


An event organiser or traffic management company can apply for a licence. If you are planning a public event within Cheshire you will need to complete an events application form.

How much does it cost and what happens next?

Closures will be charged as per the current charging schedule set out below;

Temporary orders:

  • closure duration of greater than 5 days  - £1395 (no refund for cancelled applications)
  • closure duration of 5 days or less -  £175 (no refund for cancelled applications)

Emergency order up to 21 days - £672 (no refund for cancelled applications)

These fees cover the costs of any required advertising regarding the closure/traffic restriction in the local press and all administration costs incurred by us.

Once your application has been submitted and we have all the information required to process your application, your licence will be issued to you in around five working days.  If anything is missing we will contact you. If you make a payment and your licence is refused, you will be issued with a refund within 10 working days of receiving the decision.

Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.