Giving notice of Civil Partnership
Changes to registration services
To keep customers and staff safe during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and to use our limited resources in the best way possible we have made changes to our registration services. Our current priority is arranging and providing death registrations, birth registrations and responding to enquiries about ceremonies that have already been booked with our registrars.
To postpone or rearrange a ceremony already booked with the registration team please email:firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you want to form a civil partnership you must both give notice at the register office in the area where you have lived for the eight days before giving notice, regardless of where you intend to form your civil partnership. Notices can be given up to 12 months in advance of your ceremony. A fee is charged for the notice. From 1 November 2017, foreign divorce documents will be considered for an additional fee. See below for further information about documents to take to the register office.
Where to find help
If you are a resident in Cheshire West and Chester please contact Chester register office.
If you live outside of Cheshire West you should contact your local register office. You can find your local register office on the Gov.UK website.
Documents to bring with you
You will be asked to produce certain documents depending on your individual circumstances. The type of documents we normally need are listed below.
- Evidence of identity, age and nationality, ideally a passport.
- Proof of residence in the form of a utility bill or other official document which shows your home address.
- Evidence of how any previous marriage or civil partnership ended, such as a divorce decree absolute or a death certificate. (From 1 November 2017 if your divorce was heard outside of the UK there is an additional fee to consider your divorce document).
- If you are under 18 years, written consent from legal guardian.
- If either of you are subject to immigration control you will need to provide further documents.
- Divorce documents.
- name and address of the venue
Please note that if you change the venue, or if the notices expire, fresh notices will have to be given and a fee will be charged.