Marriage and civil partnerships
Giving notice of a marriage
If you want to marry you must both give notice at the Register Office in the area where you have lived for the eight days before giving notice, regardless of where you intend to marry.
If you live outside of west Cheshire please contact your local Register Office, details of your local Register Office are available on the GOV.UK website.
Notices can be given up to 12 months in advance of your ceremony. A fee is charged for the notice. From 1 November 2017, foreign divorce documents will be considered for an additional fee. See below for further information about documents to bring to the Register Office
Documents to bring with you
You will be asked to produce certain documents depending on your individual circumstances. The type of documents we normally need are:
- evidence of identity, age and nationality, ideally a passport.
- any change of name documents.
- proof of residence such as a valid UK or EEA driving licence or a utility bill or other official document which shows your home address. A utility bill should be dated no more than three months prior to giving notice of marriage, a bank statement or building society statement dated no more than one month prior to giving notice of marriage, a council tax bill should be dated no more than 12 months prior to giving notice of marriage.
- evidence of how any previous marriage or civil partnership ended, such as a divorce decree absolute or a death certificate. From 1 November 2017 if your divorce was heard outside the UK there is an additional fee to consider your divorce document.
- if you are under 18 years, written consent from legal guardian.
- if either of you are subject to immigration control you will need to provide further documents.
- name and address of the venue
Notices of marriage are displayed for 28 days in your local Register Office and are valid for 12 months. More details of the documents can be found on the GOV.UK website.
If you change your venue or notices expire, fresh notices will have to be given and a fee will be charged.
If you are marrying in west Cheshire but live outside the borough (and gave notice of marriage elsewhere), we will issue your marriage schedule.
This document will be issued following the display of your marriage notices for a 28 day period. The schedule will contain all of the details required to complete a marriage registration and is used by the Registrar who officiates at your ceremony.
Book an appointment
You can enquire about booking an appointment with the team using our online form: